Call for entries 2021
La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français at the Festival de Cannes 2021 (13th edition)
La Fabrique Cinéma has been created by the Institut français, in partnership with France Médias Monde, the SACEM (French society of authors, composers and publishers of music), the International Organisation of La Francophonie and with the support of Orange Studio to support new talented filmmakers from Southern and emerging countries.
This programme has been developed in close association with the Festival de Cannes and the Marché du Film. Ten projects in development (1st or 2nd feature film) are selected and invited to Cannes. The aim is to create concrete opportunities for these projects by providing access to different activities and personalized support through one-to-one and group meetings with key players in the film industry.
An international call for entries limited to 120 projects is launched every year. The applications are evaluated by a selection committee made up of scriptwriters, directors, editors, consultants, festival programmers and members of national and international cultural or cinematographic organisations.
Subject to health conditions and special instructions applicable on the operative dates of La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français 2021, the program may take place either on-site in Cannes, online in a virtual way or with a hybrid framework that would combine on-site and online activities. More details on how La Fabrique Cinéma will operate in 2021 will be announced at a later date.
In case the program would take place during the Festival de Cannes (on-site or hybrid versions), part of the activities will take place online and the director and local producer of a selected project will be welcomed in Cannes for a period of 5 to 10 days during the Festival de Cannes.
In case the program could not take place in Cannes during the festival, it will happen online for a minimum period of 1 month between May and June 2021.
In any case, the participants will benefit from an intensive program and personalized coaching. This programme is meant to help finance their projects through individual meetings with French and international producers as well as group meetings with professionals, in partnership with the Festival de Cannes and the parallel selections. Moreover, the strong commitment of La Fabrique Cinéma’s patron allows each year fruitful discussions about the selected projects.
Program of the 2020 edition
Confronted with the global health crisis, the Institut français and its partners, have decided to uphold La Fabrique Cinéma so that the emerging filmmakers taking part in the 2020 edition don’t lose out on the programme’s benefits. From May 4 to June 26 2020, the directors and producers of La Fabrique Cinéma 2020 have taken part in a program converted into a digital format:
• Personalized coaching from March to May 2020
• Workshops: pitching, video pitching, coproduction, international sales
• 3 working sessions with director Rachid Bouchareb, patron of La Fabrique Cinéma 2020
• 1 masterclass from the film music composer, Béatrice Thiriet
• 40 group meetings with the key players of the film industry
• 20 one-to-one tailored consultations for the projects
• 250 individual meetings with French, European and international potential partners organized along the program and during the Marché du Film online
MAIN SELECTION CRITERIA
• The project film in development must be the director's first or second feature-length (fiction, documentary or animation).
• The director and the producer must come from one of the eligible countries.
• The project must have a producer from one of the eligible countries who has produced a short- or feature-length film in the last five years.
• Each director or production company may only submit one film project.
• Due to the international environment of the Cannes Market, the director and the producer must speak English.
• Application must be complete to be considered.
La Fabrique's program is mainly designed to find French and European coproducers. It's not necessary to have a coproducer to subscribe.
Projects that already have coproducers attached can also be submitted. Co-producers may not apply but they must appear in the registration form. A selected project that wouldn't have informed the Institut français that some coproducers are attached might be refused.
The registration deadline will be announced once the 120th eligible application will be received or by November, 4th 2020, at the latest. The website will be updated regularly regarding the number of submissions received.
You will have to set up an account to apply on the new platform.
You will have to use Latin alphabet to apply.
The complete regulation is available in pdf below.
Number of projects on November 3rd, 2020: 114 projects.