Call for entries 2024
La Fabrique Cinéma at the Festival de Cannes 2024 (16th edition)
La Fabrique Cinéma has been created by the Institut français, in partnership with France Médias Monde and the International Organisation of La Francophonie to support new talented filmmakers from Southern and emerging countries on the international market.
This programme has been developed in close association with the Festival de Cannes and the Marché du Film. Ten projects in development (1st or 2nd feature film) are selected and invited to Cannes. The aim is to create concrete opportunities for these projects by providing access to different activities and personalized support through one-to-one and group meetings with key players in the film industry.
An international call for entries limited to 110 projects is launched every year. The applications are evaluated by a selection committee made up of scriptwriters, directors, editors, consultants, festival programmers and members of national and international cultural or cinematographic organisations. Apart from the selection made through the call for entries, the selection committee might choose projects through partnerships and/or among former applicants of La Fabrique. These projects will be clearly identified.
The program will take place on-site during the Festival de Cannes. Part of the activities of the programme will take place online from Mid-April. The director and local producer of a selected project will be welcomed in Cannes for a period of 7 to 10 days during the Festival de Cannes. Participants agree to make themselves available for the equivalent of 8 days in April and for the duration of the program in Cannes.
The participants will benefit from an intensive program and personalized coaching. This programme is meant to help finance their projects through individual meetings with French and international producers as well as group meetings with professionals, in partnership with the Festival de Cannes and the parallel selections. Moreover, the strong commitment of La Fabrique Cinéma’s patron allows each year fruitful discussions about the selected projects. A planning of match-making meetings with French and international producers and sales agents is also organized.
Photo La Fabrique Cinéma 2022 ©Institut français
Program of the last 2023 edition
From April to June 2023, the directors and producers of La Fabrique Cinéma 2023 have taken part in a program converted into a digital format:
- Personalized coaching
- Workshops: pitching, video pitching, coproduction, international sales
- 28 group meetings with the key players of the film industry
- 10 one-to-one tailored consultations for the project
- 1 masterclass with producer Dora Bouchoucha, patron of La Fabrique Cinéma 2023, 1 working session and 1 individual meeting for each project
- 267 individual meetings with French, European and international potential partners organized along the program
- Meetings with French and international music composers from Spot the Composer
- Access to the Producers Network activities of the Marché du Film
- Access to the official selection and parallel sections screenings
- Official Red Carpet of La Fabrique Cinéma
MAIN SELECTION CRITERIA
• The project film in development must be the director's first or second feature-length (fiction, documentary or animation).
• The director and the producer must come from one of the eligible countries and the producer must have a production company in one of the eligible countries.
• The producer must have produced a short- or feature-length film in the last five years.
• Each director or producer may only submit one film project.
• Due to the international environment of the Cannes Market, the director and the producer must speak English.
• Application must be complete to be considered.
THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE WILL BE ANNOUNCED ONCE THE 110th ELIGIBLE APPLICATION WILL BE RECEIVED (or by November, 8, 2023, at the latest).
The website will be updated regularly regarding the number of submissions received.
La Fabrique's program is mainly designed to find French and European coproducers. It's not necessary to have a coproducer to subscribe.
Projects that already have coproducers attached can also be submitted. Co-producers may not apply but they must appear in the registration form. A selected project that wouldn't have informed the Institut français that some coproducers are attached might be refused.
The Institut français and its two supervisory ministries are firmly committed to gender equality, parity and diversity. For this reason, the Institut français is in the process of obtaining the Equality label and the Diversity label from AFNOR. The selection committee will be paying particular attention to gender parity in the selection of participants for La Fabrique Cinéma.
In line with the French National Low-Carbon Strategy (SNBC), the Institut français has set itself ten operational objectives to be achieved by 2025, brought together in a roadmap for ecological transition. The implementation of La Fabrique Cinéma program is part of this eco-responsible dynamic (train travel within Europe, vegetarian meals, etc…).
You will have to set up an account to apply on the application platform.
The complete regulation is available in pdf below.