LA FABRIQUE CINÉMA DE L'INSTITUT FRANÇAIS, A TAILORED PROGRAM FOR TALENTED YOUNG DIRECTORS FROM EMERGING COUNTRIES
La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français is a tailored program helping talented young directors from emerging countries increase their international exposure. Each year, this program, developed by the Institut français, in partnership with France Médias Monde – RFI, France 24, Monte Carlo Doualiya –, the International Organisation of La Fancophonie and the Sacem, invites ten directors working on their first or second feature films to attend the Festival de Cannes along with their producers.
Thanks to this program, young directors and producers benefit from personalized support adapted to their project and professional experience. After being selected for the program in March, they receive guidance from a personal coach who helps identify their needs (co-production, distribution, sales etc.) and schedule meetings with professionals who might be interested in co-financing their project.
IMPROVING MARKET POSITION AND DEVELOPING A PROFESSIONAL NETWORK
Directors attend pitching workshops and professional events connected to production and the film market (the role of international sales agents, co-production opportunities, co-production forums and markets, etc.). They also meet key players of the international film industry.
EXPERIENCING FIRST-HAND THE WORLD’S LARGEST INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
During work sessions, directors have the opportunity to discuss their project with the program’s patron, an internationally renowned director. In addition, they have direct access to the festival’s different competitive selections (official selection, La Semaine de la Critique, La Quinzaine des Réalisateurs, ACID, Cinéfondation) and major professional events and receive accreditation for the Marché du Film (Producers Network…). They also meet the French and international press accompanied by our press officer.
PARTNERSHIPS WITH FESTIVALS, LABS AND RESIDENCIES
For many years, La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français has collaborated to initiatives that support projects in development:
Atelier Grand Nord, French-speaking script residency, by SODEC (Quebec),
Réunion Tout en Auteur, French-speaking script residency, by Agence Film Réunion,
Realness, Pan-African screenwriters’ residency, based in South Africa, by Urucu Media,
Ouaga Film Lab, coproduction platform and workshop for West Africa, by Génération Films,
Méditalents, script residency for Mediterranean directors
Fidadoc, script residency for Pan-African documentaries
A special attention is given to French-language projects from Africa.
NEW COLLABORATION WITH VISIONS DU REEL
This year, as part of a new collaboration between Visions du Réel and La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français, the Serbian documentary projects, which are being submitted to either the « Focus Serbia – Visions du Réel 2018 » or « La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français 2018 » will be evaluated by both programmes and may be selected by both of them as well, without obligation on any side, in order to circulate the projects between Visions du Réel 2018 and La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français in Cannes in 2018. Thus, a Serbian documentary project submitted to La Fabrique may be selected by Visions du Réel for its Focus Serbia 2018, and a project that will be pitched at Visions du Réel may be invited to the Festival de Cannes 2018 to participate in La Fabrique (more details on Visions du Réel).
101 projects of 1st or 2nd long feature films
185 directors and producers coming from 61 countries, including 23 francophone countries
70% of the projects have signed coproduction agreements and 40% of the projects have already been shot and selected in great festivals or released in theatres
In 2018 and 2019, 6 films have been released in France and 11 films from La Fabrique are in post-production and will be distributed in theaters and festivals in the following months
The films that have been recently selected in festivals include:
• Rafiki by Wanuri Kahiu (Kenya, La Fabrique 2013), Un Certain Regard 2018
• My Favourite Fabric by Gaya Jiji (Syria, La Fabrique 2014), Un Certain Regard 2018
• Beauty and the Dogs by Kaouther Ben Hania (Tunisia, La Fabrique 2015), Un Certain Regard 2017
• La Familia by Gustavo R. Cordoba (Venezuela, La Fabrique 2014), La Semaine de la Critique 2017
• The Road to Mandalay by Midi Z. (Myanmar-Taiwan, La Fabrique 2012), Venice Days’ section, Venice Mostra 2016
• The Wound by John Tengrove (South Africa, La Fabrique 2014), Panorama section, Berlinale 2016
• Kill me Please by Anita Rocha da Silveira (Brazil, La Fabrique 2012), Orrizonti section, Venice Mostra 2015
• La Sirène de Faso Fani by Michel K. Zongo (Burkina Faso, La Fabrique 2013), Forum section, Berlinale 2014
15 directors have been granted by the Aide aux cinémas du monde fund since its inception in 2012:
• Fataria, arab summit by Walid Tayaa (Tunisia), 2012
• Flapping in the middle of nowhere, by Hoang Diep Nguyen (Vietnam), 2012.
• The Siren of Faso Fani, by Michel K. Zongo (Burkina Faso), 2013
• True Love Story, by Gitanjali Rao (India), 2013
• Memory Exercises, by Paz Encina (Paraguay), 2013.
• Rey, by Niles Attalah (Chili), 2014
• Jambula Tree, by Wanuri Kahiu (Kenya), 2014
• My favourite tissue, by Gayaneh Jji (Syria), 2015
• The Road to Mandalay, by Midi Z. (Burma), 2015
• The Mercy of the Jungle, by Joel Karekezi (Rwanda), 2015
• Beauty and the Dogs, by Kaouther Ben Hania (Tunisia), 2016
• The Fever, by Maya Da-rin (Brazil), 2016
• Amal, by Mohamed Siam (Egypt), 2016
• Saint Unknown, by Alaa Eddine Aljem (Morroco), 2017
• All the Dead Ones, by Caetano Gotardo and Marco Dutra (Brazil), 2018
The team of coordinators of La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français is composed by professionals who aim to identify each project's needs and coordinate individual appointments accordingly. These professionals will advise the directors and producers on the preparation of the appointments and will establish the concrete planning of the various meetings that will be held at the upcoming Festival de Cannes.
In 2019, the directors and producers will take part in :
▶ 3 working sessions with director Mira Nair, patron of La Fabrique Cinéma 2019
▶ 1 masterclass from with a film music composer
▶ 1 pitching workshop
▶ 30 group meetings with the key players of the industry
▶ 2 professional lunches with international sales agents, heads of coproduction markets, festivals and international funds
▶ 200 one to one meetings with French, European and international producers and professionals