LA FABRIQUE CINÉMA DE L'INSTITUT FRANÇAIS, A TAILORED PROGRAM FOR TALENTED YOUNG DIRECTORS FROM EMERGING COUNTRIES
La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français is a tailored program helping talented young directors from emerging countries increase their international exposure. Each year, this program, developed by the Institut français, in partnership with France Médias Monde – RFI, France 24, Monte Carlo Doualiya –, the Sacem and the International Organisation of La Fancophonie invites ten directors working on their first or second feature films to attend the Festival de Cannes along with their producers.
Thanks to this program, young directors and producers benefit from personalized support adapted to their project and professional experience. After being selected for the program in March, they receive guidance from a personal coach who helps identify their needs (co-production, distribution, sales etc.) and schedule meetings with professionals who might be interested in co-financing their project.
IMPROVING MARKET POSITION AND DEVELOPING A PROFESSIONAL NETWORK
Directors attend pitching workshops and professional events connected to production and the film market (the role of international sales agents, co-production opportunities, co-production forums and markets, etc.). They also meet key players of the international film industry.
EXPERIENCING FIRST-HAND THE WORLD’S LARGEST INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
During work sessions, directors have the opportunity to discuss their project with the program’s patron, an internationally renowned director. In addition, they have direct access to the festival’s different competitive selections (official selection, La Semaine de la Critique, La Quinzaine des Réalisateurs, ACID, Cinéfondation) and major professional events and receive accreditation for the Marché du Film (Producers Network…). They also meet the French and international press accompanied by our press officer.
PARTNERSHIPS WITH FESTIVALS, LABS AND RESIDENCIES
For many years, the Cinémas du Monde division of the Institut français (La Fabrique Cinéma, the Aide aux Cinémas du Monde fund and the African Film Library) has collaborated to initiatives that support projects in development:
Atelier Grand Nord, French-speaking script residency, by SODEC (Quebec),
Réunion Tout en Auteur, French-speaking script residency, by Agence Film Réunion,
Realness, Pan-African screenwriters’ residency, based in South Africa, by Urucu Media,
Ouaga Film Lab, coproduction platform and workshop for West Africa, by Génération Films,
Méditalents, for the Mediterranean Co-production Workshop,
Fidadoc, script residency for Pan-African documentaries,
Yaoundé Film Lab, co-production platform for central Africa,
Ficam, French-speaking script residency for animated film,
Groupe Ouest, workshops Scenario : Puissance & Âme
A special attention is given to French-language projects from Africa.
NEW COLLABORATION WITH VISIONS DU REEL
In 2020, a collaboration between Visions du Réel in Nyon and La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français in Cannes will allow a better circulation for Southern and emerging documentary projects between Visions du Réel, « Pitching du Réel »’s programme and La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français in Cannes (more details on Visions du Réel).
111 projects of 1st or 2nd long feature films
202 directors and producers coming from 63 countries, including 23 francophone countries
70% of the projects have signed coproduction agreements and 40% of the projects have already been shot and selected in great festivals or released in theatres
In 2019 and early 2020, eight Fabrique films were released in France or presented at major festivals :
• All the Dead Ones, by Marco Dutra and Caetano Gotardo (Brazil, La Fabrique 2014), selected to compete in the main competition at the Berlin International Film Festival 2020
• Yalda, a night for forgiveness, by Massoud Bakhshi (Iran, La Fabrique 2016), World Cinema Grand Jury Prize at Sundance 2020 and selected in the Generation 14plus strand at the 2020 Berlin International Film Festival 2020
• The Unknown Saint, by Alaa Eddine-Aljem (Morocco, La Fabrique 2016), in the main competition at Cannes Critics’ Week 2019
• Bombay Rose, by Gitanjali Rao (India, La Fabrique 2011), selected at the 2019 Venice International Film Critics’ Week and Toronto 2019
• The Fever, by Maya Da-Rin (Brazil, La Fabrique 2016), in the main competition at the Locarno Film Festival 2019, best actor award and FIPRESCI prize
• The Mercy of the Jungle by Joel Karekezi, Etalon d’Or at Fespaco 2019
• The Family by Gustavo R. Cordoba (Venezuela, La Fabrique 2014), in the main competition at Cannes Critics’ Week 2017
• Amal by Mohamed Siam, in the official competition at IDFA 2017
Nine films were shot in 2019 or were in post-production. We will be closely monitoring their progress in cinemas and festivals in the coming months.
Let's not forget the success from previous years :
• Benzinho, by Gustavo Pizzi (Brazil, La Fabrique 2013), sélection Sundance 2018
• Rafiki by Wanuri Kahiu (Kenya, La Fabrique 2013), Un Certain Regard 2018
• My Favourite Fabric by Gaya Jiji (Syria, La Fabrique 2014), Un Certain Regard 2018
• Beauty and the Dogs by Kaouther Ben Hania (Tunisia, La Fabrique 2015), Un Certain Regard 2017
• The Road to Mandalay by Midi Z. (Myanmar-Taiwan, La Fabrique 2012), Venice Days’ section, Venice Mostra 2016
• The Wound by John Tengrove (South Africa, La Fabrique 2014), Panorama section, Berlinale 2016
• Kill me Please by Anita Rocha da Silveira (Brazil, La Fabrique 2012), Orrizonti section, Venice Mostra 2015
• La Sirène de Faso Fani by Michel K. Zongo (Burkina Faso, La Fabrique 2013), Forum section, Berlinale 2014
In 2019, the directors and producers took part in :
▶ 3 working sessions with director Mira Nair, patron of La Fabrique Cinéma 2019
▶ 1 masterclass from with the film music composer Marc Marder
▶ 2 pitching and coproduction workshop
▶ 30 group meetings with the key players of the industry
▶ 2 professional lunches with international sales agents, heads of coproduction markets, festivals and international funds
▶ 200 one to one meetings with French, European and international producers and professionals
20 film projects have been granted by the Aide aux cinémas du monde fund since its inception in 2012:
• Fataria, arab summit by Walid Tayaa (Tunisia), 2012
• Flapping in the middle of nowhere, by Hoang Diep Nguyen (Vietnam), 2012.
• The Siren of Faso Fani, by Michel K. Zongo (Burkina Faso), 2013
• True Love Story, by Gitanjali Rao (India), 2013
• Memory Exercises, by Paz Encina (Paraguay), 2013.
• Rey, by Niles Attalah (Chili), 2014
• Jambula Tree, by Wanuri Kahiu (Kenya), 2014
• My favourite tissue, by Gayaneh Jji (Syria), 2015
• The Road to Mandalay, by Midi Z. (Burma), 2015
• The Mercy of the Jungle, by Joel Karekezi (Rwanda), 2015
• Beauty and the Dogs, by Kaouther Ben Hania (Tunisia), 2016
• The Fever, by Maya Da-rin (Brazil), 2016
• Amal, by Mohamed Siam (Egypt), 2016
• Saint inconnu, byAlaa Eddine Aljem (Morocco), ACM 2017
• All the Dead Ones, by Marco Dutra et Caetano Gotardo (Brazil), ACM 2017
• Whether the weather is fine, by Carlo Francisco Manatad (Philippines), ACM 2018
• Chevalier noir, by Emad Aleebrahim Dehkordi (Iran), ACM 2018
• Shock labor, by Marcos Diaz Sosa (Cuba), ACM 2019
• Zinder, by Aicha Macky (Niger), ACM 2019
• Loba, by Kiro Russo (Bolivia), ACM 2019
The team of coordinators of La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français is composed by professionals who aim to identify each project's needs and coordinate individual appointments accordingly. These professionals will advise the directors and producers on the preparation of the appointments and will establish the concrete planning of the various meetings that will be held at the upcoming Festival de Cannes.
She has coordinated La Fabrique Cinéme de l'Institut français program since 2012. She works as a coach and trainer for different coproduction forums, and directs Parati Films' three departments: production, event management, as well as translation and subtitling.
In fall 2015 Hédi Zardi launched with Fiorella Moretti their Paris based company Luxbox, dedicated to international sales and co-production of selected projects. With a complementary industry knowledge built on experience in production, distribution, acquisitions, sales and festival programming they start with a solid film catalogue and a passionate pool of world cinema directors.